Veterans Legal Support Center & Clinic
Resources for Veterans
If you need help on an issue that is outside of veterans benefits claims, the VLSC will conduct an intake to determine if assistance can be provided. For legal matters that the VLSC does not handle directly, it will seek to coordinate assistance through other resource providers. Below are a list of commonly utilized resources outside of the VLSC.
- Time to file a Notice of Disagreement: 1 year from the date of the Rating Decision.
- Time to file a VA Form 9 Substantive Appeal: 60 days from the date of the Statement of the Case.
- Time to file a Notice of Appeal to the Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims: 120 days from the date of the Board of Veterans Appeals decision.
For information on discharge upgrades, visit http://www.realwarriors.net/veterans/discharge/upgrade.php. The following organizations assist veterans with discharge upgrades:
The American Legion (Chicago Office)
208 West Washington St.
Chicago, Illinois 60606
Case assistance for veterans, but they do not provide representation.
Mike Regusa (Contact): 309.235.5090
Main Office: 217.528.4713
Military Task Force of the National Lawyers Guild
This organization includes attorneys, legal workers, and law students interested in draft, military and veteran’s issues. It is a standing project of the National Lawyers Guild.
Discharge Upgrade Information: http://nlgmltf.org/discharge.html
Main Office: 619.463.2369
For information on Illinois expungement, contact the Office of the Illinois Appellate Defender.
Obtaining Service Records
Military service records can be requested using Standard Form 180. The form needs to be completed and mailed to a specific address that is listed on the SF-180 form. The addresses will be different for each archive site depending upon the military branch and dates of service.
The Veterans Legal Support Center & Clinic is not alone in its efforts provide our veterans with the benefits and legal assistance to which they are entitled. Please explore some of the following links to organizations dedicated to assisting our veterans.
- Illinois Department of Veterans Affairs
- Illinois Supreme Court Commission on Professionalism
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Legal Assistance Foundation of Metropolitan Chicago
- National Vietnam Veterans Art Museum