Academic Services (Registrar)
June 2016 Commencement Information
Commencement exercises will be on Sunday, June 5, 2016 at Civic Opera House, 20 N. Wacker Dr., Chicago, Illinois. The ceremony will start promptly at 3 p.m. Students should report to the Lyric Robing Room no later than 2 p.m for robing. The ceremony will last approximately 2 hours. Prior to the ceremony, alcoholic beverages and water will be available for purchase (cash only) in the lobbies on each level of the Lyric. We suggest making dinner reservations for 6 p.m. in the city and accordingly in the suburbs.
If any of the guests attending Commencement on your behalf will need wheelchair, walker, or assistance with early entry, please email Brenda Dahlstrom. Please include details regarding the needed accommodations and the total number of guests in your party.
Checklist for Graduates
Apply to Graduate:
Order Your Cap, Gown, and Accessories Online: Each graduating student attending commencement must rent his/her cap and gown online through Herff Jones. You may also purchase commencement announcements, college rings, diploma frames, and licensed college jewelry from Herff Jones.
The last day to order graduation regalia is April 26, 2016, or you will be charged a $20 late fee.
Please follow these instructions to order graduate regalia:
- Once you navigate to the URL listed above, select Order Rental Cap and Gown
- Select Sunday, June 5, 2016 from the dropdown menu
- Select Doctorate (for JD or LLM students) or Master (for MS/MJ students)
- On the following page, find the Cap and Gown tab, and enter your information in the appropriate fields
- Click Add to Cart and complete your purchase
Note: The only honors cords graduates will be permitted to wear during the Commencement Ceremony are those delineating between the honors of summa cum laude, magna cum laude, and cum laude based on rankings from the prior semester, as well as veterans cords. Authorized graduates will receive these cords with their regalia order. Graduates wearing all other cords will be asked to remove them for the duration of the ceremony.
- Cap and Gown Pick-Up: June 3, 2016 | Noon-6 p.m. | Room 216
- Graduate Reception: June 3, 2016 | Noon-2 p.m. | 2nd Floor Student Lounge
Gather with colleagues, friends, and family for food, drinks, and fun. This is a great chance for your family and friends to take a tour of John Marshall and meet your professors.
- Obtain Your Commencement Tickets: Graduates do not need an admission ticket for Commencement; however, tickets are required for guests. Each graduate will receive 10 tickets, available in the Career Services Office, Room 405, beginning on May 5, 2016. If you require more tickets, please email Brenda Dahlstrom during the designated ticket pick-up time. Please note that upon picking up your graduation tickets, those students receiving a JD will be required to undergo an exit interview with a Career Services Office staff member.
- Distance LLM Students: if you need your tickets mailed to you, please email Brenda Dahlstrom at email@example.com
- Additional Diplomas: Graduates are awarded a single diploma at the time of graduation. Additional diplomas can be ordered by filling out a Diploma Order Form. Please include a check for $40 for each diploma and make the check payable to: The John Marshall Law School. The form and check may be submitted to Academic Services in person or mailed in to the address provided on the form.
- Photography: John Marshall will arrange for a professional photography company to capture graduation and to take headshots just prior to walking across the stage. These photographs will be available for purchase online a few weeks after the Commencement Ceremony. You will be contacted directly by the company when photos are available for purchase.