Academic Services (Registrar)
June 2017 Commencement Information
Commencement exercises will be on Sunday, June 11, 2017 at Civic Opera House, 20 N. Wacker Dr., Chicago, Illinois. The ceremony will start promptly at 4 p.m. Students should report to the Lyric Robing Room no later than 2 p.m for robing. The ceremony will last approximately 2 hours. The dean will host a reception for graduates and their families in the Grand Foyer of the Civic Opera House beginning at 1 p.m., prior to the doors opening for family and students reporting to their robing area. We suggest making dinner reservations for 6 p.m. in the city and accordingly in the suburbs.
If any of the guests attending Commencement on your behalf will need wheelchair, walker, or assistance with early entry, please contact Event Management at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 312.427.2737 ext. 117. Please include details regarding the needed accommodations and the total number of guests in your party.
Checklist for Graduates
Apply to Graduate:
Order Your Cap, Gown, and Accessories Online: Each graduating student attending commencement must rent his/her cap and gown online through Herff Jones. You may also purchase commencement announcements, college rings, diploma frames, and licensed college jewelry from Herff Jones.
The last day to order graduation regalia is May 5, 2017, or you will be charged a $20 late fee.
Please follow these instructions to order graduate regalia:
- Once you navigate to the URL listed above, select Order Rental Cap and Gown
- Select Sunday, June 11, 2017 from the dropdown menu
- Select Doctorate (for JD or LLM students) or Master (for MJ students)
- On the following page, find the Cap and Gown tab, and enter your information in the appropriate fields
- Click Add to Cart and complete your purchase
Note: The only honors cords graduates will be permitted to wear during the Commencement Ceremony are those delineating between the honors of summa cum laude, magna cum laude, and cum laude based on rankings from the prior semester, as well as veterans cords. Authorized graduates will receive these cords with their regalia order. Graduates wearing all other cords will be asked to remove them for the duration of the ceremony.
- Cap & Gown Pick-Up: June 9, 2017 | Noon-6 p.m. | Room 216
- Obtain Your Commencement Tickets: Graduates do not need an admission ticket for Commencement; however, tickets are required for guests. Each graduate will receive 8 tickets, available in the Career Services Office, Room 405, beginning on May 1, 2017. If you require more tickets, please contact Event Management at email@example.com or at 312.427.2737 ext. 117 during the designated ticket pick-up time. Please note that upon picking up your graduation tickets, those students receiving a JD will be required to undergo an exit interview with a Career Services Office staff member.
- Distance LLM Students: if you need your tickets mailed to you, please contact Event Management at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 312.427.2737 ext. 117.
- Additional Diplomas: Graduates are awarded a single diploma at the time of graduation. Additional diplomas can be ordered by filling out a Diploma Order Form. Please include a check for $40 for each diploma and make the check payable to: The John Marshall Law School. The form and check may be submitted to Academic Services in person or mailed in to the address provided on the form.
- Photography: John Marshall will arrange for a professional photography company to capture graduation and to take headshots just prior to walking across the stage. You will be contacted when these photographs are available for purchase online.