Information Technology Services
ITS Frequently Asked Questions
Listed below are the most frequently asked questions relating to campus technology. Click on a question to show the answer.
- How do I reset my password?
You may reset your password by navigating to https://password.jmls.edu. Please follow the on-screen instructions to activate your account, change your password/security questions, reset your password, and/or look up your email address.
Please note that you will need to have your student/staff ID number ready in order to utilize the options detailed above.
- How do I activate my John Marshall account?
- Open a browser and go to https://password.jmls.edu
- Click Activate Account.
- Enter your student ID number (found on your ID card) and your date of birth.
- Answer the security questions and set your password.
- You can then log in to eCommons. (This only needs to be done once.)
- After graduation how long will my account remain active?
You will have the same access to eCommons and email for 12 months after graduation. After that time your accounts are deactivated.
- How do I check to see how much money I have left in my print account?
Using your John Marshall ID card or eCommons username and password, log on to any Canon printer on campus. Once logged on, you can view your current balance in the top left-hand corner of the screen. For example, please see below:
- How do I add money to my print account?
- You can add value to your printing account online using any major credit card by going to www.jmls.edu/its/printing.php. Locate the section on the page labeled “Add Credit To Your Account.”
- Alternatively, you may bring cash to the Security Desk on the 2nd floor in the State Street building. Note: Please call Security directly at 312.427.2737 ext. 507 for hours and availability.
- Which printers produce color copies?
The Canon printers on the 5th floor of the Plymouth side of campus, the hallway on the 6th floor directly outside of the Louis L. Biro Library, and on the 12th floor of the State side of campus all are capable of printing in color.
Please note that the printers will only print in color if you designate the print job to be completed in color. You can typically change print jobs from black & white to color (and vice versa) in the “finishing” section of settings within the print command.
For further details, please refer to our map of printer locations.
- How do I get Microsoft Office?
Please visit www.jmls.edu/its/software-purchasing.php for available software.
- I have installed Microsoft Office. How do I activate it?
Microsoft Office will prompt you for a product key before the installation begins onto your computer. The product key is provided on the download page and is easy to miss or overlook.
The product key is a 25-digit key with a combination of numbers and letters displayed in red text. Be sure to save this key by creating a Word document or by pasting the key into an email to you.
- Which antivirus software should I use?
Windows 7 (and below) Users: we recommend that you use a combination or Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The hyperlinks provided will route you to downloads of the products. Please stop by the help desk to have a help desk associate enter the product key into Malware bytes. Expanded malware protection is available as an upgrade from the free Malwarebytes software.
Windows 8 Users: Microsoft Security Essentials comes bundled natively in Microsoft Defender. We still recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Windows 8 users.
Mac Users: you do not need to install antivirus or Malwarebytes.
- I have received email that I think is spam. What should I do?
If you believe you have received a spam email or any other suspect emails, do not click on anything in the email or follow any directions. Please immediately forward the message to the Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org for review. If it is determined to be spam, please either move the email to your spam folder or delete the email and then empty your deleted items.
- I am getting pop-ups on my laptop. What do I do?
If you are receiving constant popups, please run a virus scan with your preferred antivirus software. Run a full scan, clean the infected objects as prompted by the program, and reboot. If the issue persists, please bring the laptop by the Help Desk for further troubleshooting.
If you do not have antivirus software, download a free installation of Microsoft Security Essentials.