The Center for Intellectual Property, Information & Privacy Law
JD/LLM in Information Technology & Privacy Law
No matter what type of law you are interested in or what direction your career make take, your clients and you will be confronted by issues involving technology and privacy every day. Knowing the law and underlying policies is crucial to your employability. Our joint JD/LLM in Information Technology & Privacy Law offers current John Marshall JD candidates an opportunity to develop specialized knowledge and gain a marketable expertise in today’s practice environment.
Joint JD/LLM in Information Technology & Privacy Law candidates may apply the first 10 credits satisfactorily completed in the LLM program to the electives requirements of the JD. Most degree candidate will be able to complete the requirements of the joint program with 104 credits (80 JD + 24 LLM) instead of the 114 credits required if the programs are completed separately. Students unable to complete the joint degree must still complete a total of 90 hours to be awarded the JD degree.
Due to the diversity of courses offered, degree candidates interested in pursuing the JD/LLM in Information Technology and Privacy Law should consult with the Center to plan a specific degree program tailored to their needs.
- Copyright Law & Practice (IP 406, 3 Credits)*
- Cyberspace Law (ITP 808, 3 Credits)
- Information Law, Policy, & Privacy (ITP 801, 3 Credits)
- Intellectual Property in a Digital Environment (ITP 878, 3 Credits)*
- Technology & the Law (ITP 803, 2 Credits)
*Candidates are required to take only one of these courses.
- Computer Crime, Information Warfare, & Economic Espionage (ITP 848, 2 Credits)
- Contemporary Problems in IT Law (ITP 820, 3 Credits)
- Current Topics in Information Technology & Privacy Law (ITP 880, 881; 1-2 Credits)
- E-discovery, Digital Evidence & Computer Forensics (ITP 870, 2 Credits)
- Electronic Commerce Law (ITP 830, 2 Credits)
- Ethics of Practicing Law in a Digital World (ITP 812, 2 Credits)
- Free Speech in Cyberspace (ITP 841, 2 Credits)
- Global Privacy Law (ITP 855, 2 Credits)
- Health Information Privacy (ITP 821, 2 Credits)
- Independent Research in Information Technology & Privacy Law (ITP 897, 1-3 Credits)
- International Telecommunications Law (ITP 850, 2 Credits)
- IT Drafting: Information Technology Law/Representing the Technology Client (ITP 861, 2 Credits)
- Journal of Computer & Information Law (ITP 818, 1 Credit)
- Practicum in Information Technology & Privacy Law (ITP 893, 1-3 Credits)
- Privacy Rights (ITP 845, 2 Credits)
- Regulation of Health Information Privacy (ITP 822, 2 Credits)
Please review each course description to determine what prerequisites apply.